Thursday, March 8, 2018

Opening Day the the State Capitol

On February 7, 2018, my mom, grandmother, Mr. Cofrancesco (who runs the Connecticut Kid Governor Program) and I went to Opening Day for the state legislature (known as the General Assembly) at the Capitol! I was very excited to be a part of this special day in Connecticut's Government! Once we got there we went to the Republican Breakfast. I met Art Linares (my state senator), Debra Adams (Art Linares' aide), and many other Connecticut Republicans. After that, Art Linares took us on a tour around the Capitol. We saw the senate chamber, where Governor Malloy gives the State of the State address, a few offices, and many other beautiful rooms.

Me with the Genius of Connecticut!
A little while later, we went back to the senate chamber where all of the senators sit at desks in a circle. This makes talking easier for them. There, they adopted resolutions and all the senators each had a chance to thank Lieutenant Governor Nancy Wyman, who oversees the Senate, because this is her last year. The senators also have a chance to introduce guests they brought with them. I was Art Linares' guest. When he introduced me, he told them who I was and they all gave me a standing ovation! This was amazing! 


I got the chance to sit in the "Wishing Chair" where the Lieutenant Governor sits in the Senate with Senator Linares.
After that, we all went to the State of the State address where Governor Malloy gave his final speech on what the state government will be doing this year. This day was very special and I will never forget it! You can watch the Opening Session below and skip to 34:00 to see Senator Linares introduce me!


After the State of the State address, I got to meet Governor Malloy! It was a surprise and very nice to get to talk with the Governor of Connecticut. I hope I get to speak with him again soon!

Me meeting with Governor Dannel Malloy

Do you know who your state senator is? You can find out here! Make sure to check back in on CT.KidGovernor.org for more blog posts and other information! Feel free to email me with any questions or comments at: CTKGMegan@kidgovernor.org.

I got the chance to speak with my state representative, Christie Carpino, and my state senator, Art Linares. They presented me with a special citation from the General Assembly! 

And remember: Together we are stronger than cancer!

A message from your friends at the Connecticut Public Affairs Network...

Teachers and students can visit the Teacher and Class Resource Page for more on how to find out who your legislators are. Make sure to check out Lesson 1 in the Toolkit for Classes for materials on the three branches of state government!

No comments:

Post a Comment